Tuesday 29 October 2013

Hitting the hundred!

Well I'm happy to say yesterday was a day of celebration for me! 

It was a public holiday here in New Zealand, so I thought it was the perfect opportunity to get some good, solid trainings in.

My morning session was cardio, did 40 minutes on the elliptical. I have been avoiding cardio like the plague this year, but now I've been doing it again for a few weeks it feels less like an absolute chore.

After getting out in the sun and getting a couple more meals in me, I hit the gym again for session number two. Normally I would train deadlifts on Saturdays and squats on Sundays, but because I was at an event all day Saturday I couldn't deadlift. So it was squats on Sunday, deadlift Monday. 

The order I train in really impacts on my training, so I was worried about changing things up. Squats help make my back feel better, so I went into this session feeling good, with no DOMS and no back pain.

I warmed up quickly, hitting 60, 70, 80 kgs all really easily. Then I slowed and went for 85, 90 and 95kgs with no problems. I haven't hit 95kgs (209lbs) in a while and at the time this was my personal best. I don't lift with a suit or belt, and only used the straps on my gloves at the last minute.

So, feeling good, I decided to go for the 100.

When I took the smaller plates off and replaced it with the other 20's I felt like I was crazy. and felt like everyone around me was looking at me like I was crazy... 4 plates... Attempting a 100kg (220lb) deadlift when I only weigh 55kg (122lb)...what was I thinking...

My ipod had died, so I sat with my phone and psyched myself up, before trying to tune out the horrible gym music. My friend Tim was there and helped with my straps, but left quickly and didn't stand and watch (although I'm guessing he was watching in the mirror he did turn around later haha!). I really appreciated that, if someone had been standing there I'm not sure it would have gone up.

When lifting I kind of have a "pre-flight" checklist in my head. I go through each thing making sure that all the steps are in place and my body, breathing and brain are where they should be before my lift. I don't know why, I just feel it really helps me connect my mind with my body... so once everything was in place... I lifted...

AND IT WENT UP!

100kg (220lb) DEADLIFT PR FOR ME!

I went bright red, I must have looked insane, but I did it! I was so ecstatic I couldn't help myself, I grinned the rest of my session! I have to admit I've told EVERYONE I had done it.

Now I can cross my New Year's resolutions off my list, my 5 pull ups in a set (heh pretty normal for me now) and 100kg deadlift. I've come a long way in a year, it feels so great to get here, and I'm going to celebrate a little before setting my next goals!




No comments:

Post a Comment