Sunday 13 October 2013

Heyhey it's leg day!

I love leg day!! I train legs twice a week on Wednesdays and Sundays, using a combination of squats, lunges, hip thrusts, leg extensions and leg curls.

Only deadlifts outshine my love for squats. 

Much attention has been paid to the female derriere in the media recently, with Miley Cyrus' unfortunate MTV performance costume making more than one meme, and making many more girls hit the squats!

I remember being so nervous when I first started squats, they seemed so scary... once I started though, it was a match made in heaven. I love hitting the rack, even just with light weight, but the deeper and heavier the better. I like pushing myself on both volume and weight, to see how far I can go.

So, here's where I am at the moment. I can definitely tell fixing up my diet has helped my muscular development, but really want to push a bit further. 

My quads are definitely leading the charge, but I think my glutes are keeping up. I'm adding more glute work, really trying to push through and engage them when I'm training squats and lunges.

My favourite style of squats are classic high bar barbell back squats. I pushed myself to a 1RM of 100kgs (220lbs) last year, but at the moment, without a spotter I'm working at around 70kgs (155lbs). There's nothing more satisfying than being able to put more than your body weight on your back and lift it... delicious.

I'm also trying a few other squat variations to mix it up and train different parts of my glutes and quads. I like barbell front squats, the difficulty of hanging onto the bar is outweighed by how well it pushes my weight onto the back of my heels. 

I gave goblet and dumbbell squats a try, but find that unless there is really no rack available, they aren't something I like to do so much.

I tried overhead squats on Wednesday... I first tried with be bar only, thinking this wouldn't be too much of a stretch... After my first attempt nearly faceplanting, I swapped to a wooden pole to practice the balance thing before I try any sort of weight! Challenge accepted!

In terms of accessory leg work, I'm trying to help get some more definition in my legs. I do know this will come with lower body fat, but I feel I should push a little harder.







No comments:

Post a Comment