Saturday 30 November 2013

Core training - an update and my most recent core workout

A few months ago I changed the way I thought about core. Rather than my core being an afterthought in a bigger workout, or not training it at all, I decided to train my core as if it was any other part of my body. 

While there are varied schools of thought on this approach (some of which say I'm mad), this way of training my core has really worked for me and enabled me to get some pretty good results. I've never been afraid to show off my core (even when I was super lean with little musculature) but changing how I think about training my core has really allowed me to get some more muscle in this area (combined with a super solid diet of course)

So while my diet has had the most impact on how my core looks, I'm quite happy to share my core workout.

I do this twice a week, takes me about an hour for the whole workout so perfect for a lunchtime training. This is what I train and I've been doing this a while, so for anyone just starting out, drop the weights right down, lower the reps by half and work your way up to these. I started doing most of the weighted stuff here at just body weight and I've increased the reps steadily as I've found it getting too easy. I do everything in this order and I don't rest between sets, I just move on to the next exercise straight away. Also if something hurts (like actually hurts not just "ow my muscles hurt") I adjust the workout to suit. I always listen to what my body says. Like in my last core workout hanging knee raises hurt my bicep, so I left them out for the workout.

So remember if you're just starting out -halve the weight (or drop it altogether) and the reps for all of these!

AJ's Core Workout

Cable Crunch
70 lb x 15 reps
110 lb x 10 reps
90 lb x 12 reps

Dumbbell Side Bend
20 kg x 20 reps (3 sets each side)

Crunch
20 reps (3 sets)

Reverse Crunch
20 reps (3 sets)

Bicycle crunches
26 reps (3 sets)

Flat Straight Leg Raise
12 reps(3 sets)

Hanging Knee Raise
10 reps (3 sets)

Jack Knife Sit-Up
12 reps (3 sets)

Weighted Russian Twist
10kg x 20 reps (3 sets)

Reverse Crunch
20 reps(3 sets)

Crunch
30 reps (3 sets)

Weighted Russian Twist
10kg x 20 reps (3 sets)

Dumbbell Side Bend
20 kg x 20 reps (3 sets each side)

Crunch
30 reps (3 sets)

Bicycle crunches
30 reps (3 sets)

Reverse Crunch
20 reps(3 sets)

Dumbbell Side Bend
20 kg x 20 reps (3 sets each side)

Cable Crunch
60 lb x 15 reps
90 lb x 10 reps
50 lb x 20 reps

I adjust this as I find it gets easier, because I always want to be pushing and challenging my body.


Happy core training!!


1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh I'm going to enjoy feeling the pain with this!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete