Saturday 30 November 2013

Shoulders!

I need some. Unlike @vaz1x I am not blessed with boulder shoulders. I am anterior dominant, with quite big traps, but my rear delts are so flat I'm bony in my shoulders... so sad!

So I'm working on them, and last week I was lucky enough to go to a shoulder seminar run by Phily, Joe Ulberg IFBB Pro and Jason. These guys are an amazing team and between the lot of them train (and are!!) some amazing athletes. They showcased some great theoretical and practical knowledge and it was so awesome for them to share their tips with those of us who are training. 

Their seminar completely changed the way I view my shoulder training and what I want to achieve from it. I've restructured what my training looks like, dropped the weight substantially and refocused my goals. It really reminded me how important good form and good quality reps are for muscle development. It;s made my shoulders a focus for another part that needs improving before the competition and I've added a good couple of sessions into my workouts each week.

My shoulder work now includes:

-Warming up... who knew this was important, right?
- medial work (side lateral raises)
-compound work (presses)
- more medial work
-rear delt work

Even though rear delts need the most work, they come last because working them first will ruin the quality of your presses... You need to give them plenty of attention though so don't wait until you're super fatigued before training them. It was awesome to get even these small tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment