Thursday 5 September 2013

The Gym and Travel…

Well I'm off to Auckland this weekend, and for those of you new to my life, this isn't the first trip away I've had this year that’s threatened to throw my gym groove off.

For my longer trips, I really only attempted to use hotel gyms, some great (Yay go Texas!) and some which left a lot to be desired (Sydney, Slovakia, I'm looking at you!). 



Hotel gym in Slovakia aka "The lifter's nightmare"

This had mixed results, in Texas, the food I ate made me feel worse, but the gym there was much better and despite my initial feelings, I managed to come out of that trip in a good place. Europe was a little harder. Even though I hit a deadlift PR in a gym in Austria at the beginning of my trip, the lack of facilities in Bratislava including nearby gyms that were never open, and lack of energy, made it almost impossible to stay on top.

This short weekend trip, I have more of a plan. My gym has locations in Auckland, and I have mapped out the route from my hotel to the nearest one. I'll be heading there Friday and first thing in the morning before the events start on Saturday and Sunday. I'll try stick to my workout plan as much as possible, but I may have to do "workouts-lite" to fit everything in. This should be ok as long as I roar back into it when I get home on Monday.

As for eating (my nemesis!), I’m going to be doing another mass batch of cooking tonight and taking a whole lot of food and protein powder with me so I have snacks ready if I need it and I'm not as likely to eat something bad for me. I'll make sure to take a water bottle with me wherever I go to try to stop me buying energy drinks.


So we shall see if this amazing plan of mine actually works…

No comments:

Post a Comment