Thursday 19 September 2013

I may have been slack on posting, but definitely not slack on my diet!

Wow! What a week! Diet/Food plan officially started on Monday! 


Sunday we went grocery shopping, I swear there was more green in our trolley that day than I've ever seen! Next week I'm going to hit up the markets to see if I can get kumara (sweet potato) cheaper, we need so much of it that it's worth it to even get a few dollars savings. Otherwise it wasn't too far off what we'd normally buy, except all other protein sources swapped out for chicken...delicious!

Sunday night was spent chopping, cooking, and putting a weeks worth of food for two in containers. Not a small task by any stretch of the imagination, but now I think I've got the routine sorted it won't take me three hours next Sunday... well hopefully!

The food plan for me is basically:

  • Oats and protein shake for breakfast
  • chicken, kumara, rice and broccoli for meal one
  • same for lunch (meal two)
  • Apple and protein shake for afternoon tea
  • Chicken and greek salad for dinner
  • Protein shake after the gym

(I'll do another post about the supplements I'm on later)

The funny thing is, I'm actually enjoying the structure and regimentation of this plan and the sameness of the food doesn't even really bother me. I take my wee cooler bag of food with me to work and mix everything up as I need it.

There's something comforting about knowing what I am going to be eating that day, and already having set my portions out makes mealtimes a little less scary and chaotic. I like having scales and cups to measure out all my portions and making sure I'm eating enough at all times. To be honest I wish I had done this years ago, it would have saved myself a lot of time and energy!

Eating like this means I'm never full, but never hungry either, just a nice balance the whole day. It's been easier to resist the temptation of treats at work when I know what I have to eat (and I am actually eating a meal at morning tea rather than relying on a snack to keep me going!)

 I feel I have more energy and the lifts that I have tried to push hard on (hurt my back on Saturday cleaning the car, of all things, so I've been taking it a bit easier than normal) have been going well,18 kg dumbbell bench press seemed to go up easier than before. it looks like my delts are coming along well, and I can already see a bit more leanness through my stomach and back. I'm looking forward to being able to hit deadlifts and squats with real enthusiasm again, in the meantime look out accessory lifting, I'm coming for you!

The other change I've made (well, been told to make!) is adding cardio back into my workouts. It's low impact cardio where I'm aiming for a heart rate of between 105-140 BPM, so not a hard slog by any stretch of the imagination. It's given me the inspiration to start walking to work again, which isn't far, only about 3kms, but just long enough (and I leave the house late enough!) that I have to push myself a wee bit to get to work on time!

So in all everything seems to be going ok 4 days in :) I'm doing a lot of stretching and foam rolling for my back and I'll keep you up to date on when it feels good enough to try for some big numbers!


No comments:

Post a Comment