Friday 23 May 2014

What to wear to the gym?

This seems like the oddest topic for me to write about, since you will know that at the gym, I rock a combination of workout clothes that make me look like I’m homeless. My friend Georgia and I call this look “Hobo-chic.”


Pretty classic pre-gym hobo look from me

But, I have had a few messages from people who are just starting out at the gym asking what kinds of clothing they should buy, especially for ladies who want to get into lifting weights. I’ve been asked what brands I like, what I like to train in for different days and about the most comfy stuff for the gym. So I thought I’d write a post on what I like to wear and my tips for anyone starting out.

3) Wear appropriate footwear

I know it seems like a no brainer, but wearing the appropriate shoes for what you're doing is important. Hard sole shoes like chucks are good for squatting and deadlifting in (I wear chucks when I do these. N.B additionally also the only time when bare feet may be ok because I understand it can be better to do it in bare feet than in sneakers). For general gym going and lifting any kind of sneakers are fine, they don’t have to be expensive, but if you are planning on running get good sneakers. You don't want to hurt your knees by running in bad shoes.

2) Invest in sports bras

Ladies, get yourself a range of good sports bras. I say a range because you'll be washing them a lot and there's nothing worse than having a wet sports bra to put on. Also make sure they fit properly and keep you in the right place, nothing worse than a fear of the girls escaping while you’re lifting. It’s also much better for your back to have them firmly strapped in; sports bras give you the support that normal bras just can’t do while you’re exercising.

3) Dress to fit your body and your comfort level

My main advice for choosing clothes for the gym is to pick clothes that fit you properly and fit your comfort level at the gym. There are no hard and fast rules for what you should wear, as long as you're comfortable wearing it and you’re not indecently exposing yourself to other gym goers. There’s nothing worse than wearing something that doesn’t fit properly and getting distracting pulling it down or adjusting it the whole time you’re training. Worrying about what your butt looks like in your tights will only distract you from what you’re trying to do.

If you don’t feel comfortable wearing tights and a tight singlet then don’t. I much prefer working out in a looser fitting top and shorts in the summer and trackpants in the winter. I start off cold and warm up pretty quickly so I wear several layers of clothes. It’s a lot more to cart around near the end, but I feel much better starting off cosy warm than fighting the chill.

I have a few favourite pieces of gym wear, my red Not Big Enough tank top is definitely a favourite, and Cotton On Body does good and relatively inexpensive gym gear. Their tank tops are cute, and nice and long if you want to wear tights without worrying about bootay. I have a whole lot of inexpensive tops because they go through to wash so much I always need more.

If you don’t mind spending a little more on staples like shoes you can’t really go wrong with anything from Nike, Puma or Adidas. I love my Under Armour hoodie and wear it pretty much every day, only parting with it when it needs a wash!

I don’t have much Lulu Lemon gear, but I’ve heard that while you pay a little more, it’s high quality and if it’s not on high rotation like my gym clothes, then it should last you a while.

I have two gym bags, a large one for when I need to cart my shoes, straps and my belt around, and a smaller one for general every day gym going.

I hope this answers a few questions and if you want any more info just ask!


xox AJ xox 

No comments:

Post a Comment