Sunday 30 March 2014

Bit of Brain Training

Had a bit of a moment yesterday when a bit of self doubt crept into my mind.

It wasn't a lot. It was barely a thought. But just that twinge of "I'm too tired, I'm too sore, it's too heavy"

And it was just enough to throw me.

I found it so hard to keep going at that point. My arms just weren't responding when I tried to hit reps and my shoulders felt like I had nothing left.

It wasn't the case, I had plenty in the tank, but my brain was telling me no.

I was really happy I was training with Jase and Ash at that point. Jase said I could keep going and it was all in my head. I wanted to drop the weight to make reps. They gave me a choice, do 6kg seated lat raise again for 15 or drop to 5 and do 20. Of course my tired brain chose the fewer reps. I sat and forced out each rep... where before I struggled to get 10 with a spot, when I pushed through, I made 15 without needing a spot. Jase told me I could easily have made 20 that time.



This incident, while small, still made me think more about what I need mentally to get through this as well as physically. I know full well I have the strength to lift what I do. In fact I can probably lift even more than I do when pushing for maxes.

What I need are some ways of helping myself to achieve what I want. I started thinking about what positive affirmations I can give myself when I'm struggling and feel like I can't go on. How to force out those extra reps or do that additional set when I feel like there's no more in me.

Because no one else is going to win this comp for me and I know that. I am the only person who can truly push myself far enough. There isn't a magic pill to get the results I want, it comes solely from hard work, dedication and true determination.


So I'll be working on some positive thinking strategies for myself and focusing on what I can do to help my mental strength as well as the physical.



For training today, I've got legs, and I'm training on my own so it will be a good chance for me to practise some of these techniques to push through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment