Monday 24 February 2014

Rest day? What's that?

So I have maintained my view on resting, that it is entirely unnecessary, for quite some time. This, sums up my view of it quite nicely.

However, I'm learning that if I want bigger muscles, I'm going to have to allow some R-E-S-T in order to make these gains. D, my training partner and just about everyone else has been convincing me I need at least one rest day a week, if not more.

I train heavy legs on Sunday and yesterday was no exception. Tuesday is deadlift day and I usually try to go as heavy as I can.

So Monday has now been made rest day. I thought I was going to go stir crazy.

However, I've had a good day! I'm as surprised as you!

I walked to work as normal, 3kms and took about 25 minutes.

Then at lunchtime I took a 45 minute Body Balance Class at Les Mills. Normally I'm not a big fan of this kind of thing but I thought I'd give it a go to try and stretch and relax. I was pleasantly surprised by this, but for the stretching and the relaxation, and I went back to work feeling great.

Later that night I went back to the gym and foam rolled and stretched. I took almost a whole hour for these and then had a sauna afterwards.

Now I'm having a green tea before bed.

I feel like I've had a great day off, being active but not too active. I don't feel guilty taking this time like I thought I would, and I think this is going to make a difference to my training from now on :D

No comments:

Post a Comment