Saturday 31 August 2013

“What day is it?" "It's deadlift day," squeaked Piglet. "My favorite day," said Pooh.

That it is. Ever since I discovered deadlifts they have been my favourite lift (followed very, very closely by squats) and I am slowly working my way further and further up, both in weight and in reps. Here's a cute video of me with an easy 65kgs at the end of a workout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw9LVJrjjWM

My current PR is 92.5kgs (204lbs) and I am looking to get to get to 100kgs (220lbs) by the end of the year. I don't lift with a belt, I rely on my core and back strength at the moment, but thinking I should get a belt to get heavier. The only problem is standard belts don't fit me... not many heavy lifters have waists like mine.

My training schedule is pretty full already, but I'm going to adjust it a little in the next couple of weeks to focus on my problem areas.  I work out 7 days a week and most days I will do a session at lunchtime and a session in the evening, hence why there are mixtures of body parts on the same day. I hate going a day without training and will usually use an arms or core training day as a "rest day" and won't go so heavy. My training week usually looks a little like this:

Monday - Core, Arms, whatever I can be bothered training
Tuesday - Chest
Wednesday - SQUATS, legs, glutes
Thursday - chest, back, lats
Friday - Shoulders
Saturday - DEADLIFTS, back, core
Sunday - SQUATS, legs, glutes

I have a mixture of volume and weight, and change it up depending on the day. I usually do my heaviest lifting on the weekends when I have plenty of time to spend in the gym.

After finding my arms really are my problem area, I'm going to add a bit more of that, and some more deadlifts into my weeks. I'm thinking my new week will look something closer to this:

Monday:
Lunch- Shoulders
Evening- Biceps, Triceps, Core

Tuesday:
Lunch - Core
Evening- DEADLIFTS

Wednesday:
Lunch- Biceps, Triceps
Evening - SQUATS, glutes, legs

Thursday:
Lunch - chest
Evening - lats, rows

Friday:
Lunch- Arms
Evening -Shoulders

Saturday
-DEADLIFTS, lower back, core

Sunday
-SQUATS, glutes, legs

Of course I'll be messing around with this to see what's working and what's not, but I really do need to add a much more comprehensive arm workout to really target that area. You'll notice I don't really have set cardio days... Cardio and I have a complicated relationship, I used to enjoy it, now not so much.


So for now I'll stick with my ever so sporadic cardio regime, unless the Boss tells me otherwise!



No comments:

Post a Comment